Table of Contents
An electric scooter is a fun and convenient way to get around, but like any vehicle, it requires some basic maintenance. One of the most common maintenance tasks is changing a flat tire. Luckily, this is a relatively easy process that anyone can do with a few simple tools.
Here’s how to change an electric scooter tire:
- Park your scooter on a level surface and turn off the power.
- Remove the wheel cover and unscrew the retaining bolts with a wrench or pliers.
- Lift the wheel off the scooter and set it aside.
- Use a tire iron or crowbar to pry the old tire off the wheel rim. If the tire is severely damaged, it may need to be cut off with a knife or saw.
- Clean the wheel rim with soap and water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Place the new tire on the wheel rim and make sure it’s seated properly all around.
- Use the tire iron or crowbar to secure the new tire onto the wheel rim, working your way around until it’s tight all the way around.
- Replace the wheel on the scooter and screw on the retaining bolts tightly.
Tools you will need
- Flat head screwdriver
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Wire cutters
- An adjustable wrench
- A new inner tube for your tire size
- A can of compressed air (optional)
It is inevitable that at some point you will get a puncture when riding your electric scooter. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to change an electric scooter tire.
What you will need:
- Tire levers
- New inner tube
- Spare tire (optional)
- Park your scooter on a level surface and engage the kickstand. This will stop the scooter from rolling away while you are changing the tire.
- Use the tire levers to loosen the earth screw and remove the wheel from the scooter. If you have a rear wheel, you may need to remove the chain before taking the wheel off.
- Once the wheel is removed, deflate the inner tube completely by pressing on the valve with your finger or using a tire lever. Doing this makes it easier to remove the inner tube.
- Use your fingers or a tire lever to pries off the rubber lip of the tire (the part that covers the inner tube). Be careful not to damage or puncture the inner tube in the process!
- Pull out the inner tube completely, taking care to note which way round it was positioned in relation to the tire. You will need to put it back in the same way when replacing it with a new one!
- Inspect both the inside of the tire and the outer surface of the inner tube for any embedded pieces of glass or other sharp objects which may have caused the puncture in the first place. If you find anything, remove it carefully so as not to cause any further damage.
- To install your new inner tube, firstly insert one end into position inside of tire, making sure that it is positioned correctly in relation to where it needs to line up with once fully inflated (check by looking at how it was positioned originally). Once in position, start inflating slowly using your pump until approximately half full; this will make it easier to fit over any bumps on road surface! Finish inflating once back on level ground. To check that there are no leaks, press down firmly all-around circumference of tire – if you hear any escaping air, then there is likely still a leak which needs addressing before riding off!
We hope this guide “How to change an electric scooter tire” has been helpful and you now feel confident changing an electric scooter tire. As always, if you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.